|Troy McLawhorn está disponible en español. Ver el artículo
Το άρθρο Troy McLawhorn είναι διαθέσιμο στα ελληνικά. Δείτε το άρθρο
Troy McLawhorn è disponibile in italiano. Vedi l'articolo
Troy McLawhorn está disponível em português. Ver o artigo
After the demise of his first band, Still Rain, McLawhorn helped form doubleDrive in 1996 and landed a recording contract with MCA records in 1998. After scoring a top 20 hit at active rock radio with the song "Tattooed Bruise" with the help of program director Dick Shuetz at WJRR in Orlando, Fla. The band left MCA and signed a new deal with Roadrunner Records in 2001 and released their second album Blue In The Face with the song "Imprint" reaching into the top 20 also. McLawhorn was an active member until December 2003, when the band broke up.
Upon the breakup of that band he along with Corey Lowery and Will Hunt began working on material together which would later become Dark New Day and would include good friends Clint Lowery and Brett Hestla. The lineup was one that had been hinted at years earlier. Dark New Day signed a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records in late 2004 and released the album 12 year silence which had the song "Brother" in 2005 which was a top 10 hit at active rock radio.
During Evanescence's break in 2014-2016, Troy started recording new music with a band called Not By Sight, formed by vocalist, Jane Train. Other band members included Corey Lowery of Saint Astonia and Morgan Rose of Sevendust. They released one song called Stand on January 6, 2016. No other songs from this project have been released, and since Jane passed away in August 2017, there have been no plans to continue the project.
The Open Door
On May 17, 2007, it was announced that Troy was "borrowed" from Dark New Day to join as a live member for Evanescence, replacing John LeCompt, for The Open Door tour. Originally he was going to be playing with Evanescence until September, but ended up staying until the end of the tour in December.
Amy said this on EvThreads:
|So today was the first full rehearsal with Will and Troy and they are awesome. (For those of you who don't know, they are the drummer and guitarist from Dark New Day). I haven't seen Terry so happy playing guitar since before the stroke. They've been working their butts off for the past few days cramming the setlist into their brains and they sound great. Its amazing how good it feels to play now- no clouds over our heads, no conspiracy, no drama, just the love of music. Terry, tim and I are very happy, and seriously can't wait to start touring again. Will and Troy are a little nervous, but they shouldn't be, they both SHRED. Fellow DND fans, don't worry, the band's not breaking up. We're just borrowing Will and Troy for awhile (they are working on their new album now).|
Amy was asked in a interview about Troy and Will joining Evanescence:
|We’re not really worried about it at this point because we’re about to stop anyway. And they’re still in Dark New Day and working on a lot of songs and have actually been in the studio in between tours with us, working on that album. So, since we’re finishing December 8, it doesn’t really clash with anything we’re doing for them to go do their thing. So they’re going to do the Dark New Day thing while we’re off anyway, and we don’t really have a time frame for when we’re starting up again. We’re just going to have to see where we’re all at then. But I love playing with them, I would love to try writing with them, and I just admire them both as musicians. I like Dark New Day and I think it makes a lot of sense with our music, so we’ll just see how it goes. I would love to work with them again, I really would.|
After Evanescence's tour ended, Troy carried on with Dark New Day until he left in mid-2008 after joining Seether as a touring member. After Seether's tour was over, he became a full-time member as a lead guitarist.
Just one thing to clarify from this article. Troy won't be joining us on tour. He is a full-on writing member of Seether now and is getting a chance to really bloom there. They are currently in the studio working on a new album as well. We will miss him on the road, but I'm very happy for him. He's a very kind and talented man who deserves to shine creatively. Terry will be playing all of the guitar on our album, and when we get closer to tour we will figure out who will be the other live guitarist.
On March 8, 2011 Seether announced that Troy had left the band to "pursue other interests". Later that day McLawhorn responded on the official "The Troy McLawhorn Fan Site" on Facebook with the following statement:
On April 8, 2011, Seether frontman Shaun Morgan posted his frustrations on Twitter regarding Troy's still unconfirmed new gig. The next day Troy took to his official Facebook page to release the following statement to explain his departure:
After he rejoined he helped write some of the lyrics for Made of Stone, The Change and Erase This. He stayed with the band during their tour in support of the self-titled album until it finished in November 2012.
After Amy announced Evanescence's electronic and orchestral album, Synthesis, Troy flew to Texas in August 2017 to record the guitar parts for the album. In October he joined the Synthesis Live tour in North America until December. He will continue to be a part of the live shows through 2018 in Australia, Europe and North America.
- Gibson Flying-V 7 Strings
- Gibson Les Paul Custom 1985
- Gibson Les Paul Custom 1990
- PRS SE Baritone Custom 7 Strings
- Gibson Flying-V 1959
- Gibson Explorer
- PRS SE Custom 24
- PRS SE Custom 22
- PRS SC
- PRS Starla Ltd
- Fender Telecaster
- Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
- Orange Amplifier
- 1000 Yard Stare (1999)
- Blue in the Face (2003)
Dark New Day
- Twelve Year Silence (June 14, 2005)
- Black Porch (Acoustic Sessions) (September 5, 2006)
- Hail Mary (August 23, 2011)
- B-Sides (August 24, 2011)
- New Tradition (February 28, 2012)
- Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray (May 17, 2011)
Not By Sight
- Stand [Single] (January 6, 2016)
Notes and References
- Road Runners Records article
- Lee, Amy (May 18, 2007). "i've got a new ring & now you've got the scoop.". EvThreads. Archived from the original on May 21, 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070521163504/http://www.evthreads.com/showthread.php?p=268958#post268958.
- Evanescence Frontwoman Amy Lee Steps Up, Delivers an Album All Her Own
- Lee, Amy (March 2, 2010). "Just one thing to clarify from this article". EvThreads. Archived from the original on July 10, 2011. http://web.archive.org/web/20110710211026/http://www.evthreads.com/showthread.php?p=1315159.
- "YES!! I'm proud to announce that Troy Mclawhorn is back in Ev!" - Twitter
- Spin.com. "ALBUM PREMIERE: Evanescence's Self-Titled Return" (October 7, 2011) - "It has a whole different feel without going too far away from what fans of the band would expect from us, while it opens the door for us to explore music that is more groove-based.I love the way the verse is subdued and almost has a reggae feel, and then opens up into a massive chorus. When we get to the bridge, it's full on rock with a tinge of a metal. If we tried to write it with those parameters in mind it never would have happened. That's why I love it!"
- "EVANESCENCE GUITARIST NAMES HIS FAVORITE HORROR MOVIE" - Audio Ink Radio