Difference between revisions of "Amy Lynn Lee"
m (resized thumbnail to 150 to be equal to other bandmember torso shots)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
-founder and lead singer of Evanescence. family moved to West Palm Beach, Florida, Rockford, Illinois, and finally stopped in Little Rock, Arkansas. Responsible for many of Evanescence’s hard hitting lyrics and is the main songwriter on the new album, [[The Open Door]]. Amy provides the image for the band and does most of the interviews. Ben Moody discovered Amy Lee’s voice in summer camp in 1994 when she performed Meatloaf’s ''"I'd Do Anything For Love."'' After that, the rest is history. She is currently one of the most popular and sought after voices in music today.
<br>Also see, [[Snow White]].<BR><BR>
<br>Also see, [[Snow White]].<BR><BR>
Revision as of 17:59, 12 January 2007
Amy Lee (born December 31, 1981 in Riverside, California) is the co-founder and lead singer of Evanescence. Her family moved to West Palm Beach, Florida, Rockford, Illinois, and finally stopped in Little Rock, Arkansas. Responsible for many of Evanescence’s hard hitting lyrics and is the main songwriter on the new album, The Open Door. Amy provides the image for the band and does most of the interviews. Ben Moody discovered Amy Lee’s voice in summer camp in 1994 when she performed Meatloaf’s "I'd Do Anything For Love." After that, the rest is history. She is currently one of the most popular and sought after voices in music today.
Also see, Snow White.
Lee has a trademark neo-goth style, marked by her occasional use of gothic make-up and taste for Victorian-styled clothing (her favorite era of time). She dyes her hair jet black though her hair is actually darkish brown. Her eyes are greyish blue but she is roumored to use blue contacts. She also designs many of her own clothes, including those worn in the music video for Going Under and the dress she wore at the 2004 Grammy awards. After she designed it she chose Japanese designer H. Naoto to make it for her, although she does sometimes make her own clothes. In concerts, she often wears a corset and fishnets. Amy used to have a notable piercing on her left eyebrow which she has taken out and had re-pierced a few times, but she took it out for good sometime in mid-2005.
Many fans praise Lee for her refusal to emulate other celebrities by using sex appeal in her music. She has stated on a number of occasions that she would never flash her breasts or engage in other publicity stunts that would draw attention to herself. In fact, in the music video for Everybody's Fool, she aimed to mock such artists by suggesting celebrities who use sex to appeal to an audience, but are, in fact, merely peddling "lies" (the unifying theme of the music video).
In her personal life, she enjoys being a girl. Her clothing style is quirky and marked by her frequent use of not-so-goth clothes (she stated in an interview with AOL that she was wearing "something floral" )<Full Quote Missing>. She explains it as a professional thing, saying that her image onstage is so different from her normal clothes because it completes the image; if she were to come out onstage in pink boots and a track suit and sing about dispair, it would totally ruin the image. <Full Quote Needed>
Out of the Shadows
In 2005, Amy became a spokesperson for the Epilepsy Foundation and launched a campaign called Out of the Shadows. The goal is to help spread awareness about epilepsy and to encourage people to not discriminate against people with epilepsy. This campaign is important to Amy, as well as her family, because her younger brother has epilepsy and she has seen first hand the effect it has.
In 2000, Amy sang guest vocals on David Hodges' songs 'Breathe' (The Summit Church: Summit Worship CD) and unreleased song of his called 'Fall Into You'.
Did some vocals on the Underworld soundtrack in 2003 but after some issues with her record label her voice was never used. Her name still appears in the credits though.
Amy is featured on Seether's song Broken. The song was released as a single in 2004 and can be found on The Punisher soundtrack and on Seether's Disclaimer II album.
Tools of the Trade
On tour, Amy uses a Baldwin baby grand piano with a keyboard insert; A baby grand piano shell with an electronic keyboard instead of a physical piano on the inside. She also uses a stand-alone Baldwin keyboard.
Amy Lee does not have a MySpace page. There are several impostor MySpace pages claiming to be Amy Lee. They are not real. EvBoard.Com
- She was born at Parkview Hospital and is a Sagittarius; she was born in The Year of the Rooster.
- She is named after the 70's song "Amie."
- She didn't really have any childhood names, it was always either Amy, Ames, or Amers.
- When she was in middle school, she insists that she was "overweight and had poofy hair."
- In high school, she was active in choir and drama. She was also president of the choir (hence her name for herself, "choir nerd"). While there, she wrote the song Listen To The Rain, which was performed by the Pulaski Academy mixed choir.
- Her immediate family includes father John Lee, a well known DJ on K106.3 in Little Rock, mother Sarah Lee, brother Robby, and sisters Carrie and Lori. Lee had a third sister, who died in 1987 at the age of three from an undisclosed illness, who is known to be the inspiration for a few very personal songs. "On the last record, I wrote Hello about her. Like You is her place on this record The Open Door."
- Past romantic relationships include Ben Moody and Shaun Morgan.
- She currently is engaged to a long time friend, Josh, who is a 28-year-old therapist. She wrote Bring Me To Life about him and he also inspired the song Good Enough, the last song on The Open Door. The two were engaged on January 8th, and Amy made the first official announcement on January 9th. Live @ Much
- She currently lives in Manhattan.
- Some of her influences include Björk, Portishead (Beth Gibbons), SoundGarden, Nirvana, KoRn, Carole King, Michael Jackson, Janis Joplin, Tori Amos, and Mozart.
- Her favorite Fallen song is Going Under.
- She took acting lessons for stage presence before they started recording Fallen.
- She would prefer to stay at home and play in one place, but she still likes to tour.
- She can play the guitar, as demonstrated in the The Cartoon Network Song.
- If she wasn't famous she would be a choir teacher or a composer of film scores.
- The first album she owned was the California Raisins tape.
- Michael Jackson was her idol growing up.
- Her favorite 80's song is "Everything She Wants" by Wham!. She has sung the song karaoke at least five times.
- She hates "Who Let The Dogs Out" by the Baha Men.
- She admits to listening to Mariah Carey.
- One of her favorite movies is An American Tail.
- Her favorite movie is the Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Her favorite zombie movie is Dead Alive.
- Her favorite actor is Giovanni Rabisi.
- She used to have a cat named Fievel. She found him in a ditch, but then had to give him away because the band was going on tour.
- She later had a cat named Zero, until it met a coyote.
- She is allergic to lobster. If she eats it, she'll go into a coma.
- The beach is one of her favorite places - she loves the ocean.
- Her favorite holiday is Halloween.
- Her favorite era is the Victorian era because they had such cool clothes.
- The one thing she would bring with her to a deserted island would be a piano.
- She is the shortest member of the band, past or present.
- She's been to the Haunted Mansion at Disney World "a million times."
- Her most embarrassing celebrity crush is Corey Feldman from The Goonies.
- She thinks pirates are better than ninjas.